Archive HT81S Japan on M18

Recently I am in a crossroad whether to overhaul my engine or upsize it to M18. After many round of discussion with my trusty mechanic, it will cost me a leg and an arm to do it so I will take some time more to weight the cost for this major tuning for my car. Hence I spend a lot of time looking for information about the mysterious M18 engine for HT81S and I found a few video of this car in youtube.


From the video, you can hear and look at the exit speed of the car. It is very strong and it does slide during the entry of some corners. I do think that the torque for the car is good, since the M18 does punch out 20.5kg/m of torque.
Enjoy the video!

Comments

  1. With torque rather than revs and maybe also increased weight, I do feel the M18 may change the character of the car and not in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the information I gather, the weight increase are minimal.
    Rev increase are there as one Japan HT81S owner which changes to M18 stated that the engine will rev to 8000rpm easily.
    I think the direction for this mod are more to the VTEC style with higher revving engine in a small car but without the explosive power of VTEC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you will need the Swift Sport inlet manifold + R's Larger TB to really benefit from a M18 bottom end. I believe that the guy in Japan has this setup.. There was a R's TB on Yahoo auctions which I was tempted to buy but it seems the postage cost + customs would have doubled the price.. Which is a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree on your suggestion. My mechanics also advice to change both this item together. He would advice for a TB of at least 60mm to start.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment