Oil cooler. Do HT81S need it ?

I had been thinking about this question since I last experience a overheating incident with my car one day. I think that incident is about a year ago. My water temp shot to 120 and the red light on my dashboard light up and I know I in a big trouble.
Just to share with you all. The incident happened because the mechanics forget to lock back my lower radiator hose properly after I install my new flywheel the other day. The hoses is in the position but the locking ring is not secure. So after a few days of driving around and I notice some "hising" sound when I driving and to my horror when I look at my r-vit. The temp show 110+ and rising. I slow down from 100km/h to 80km/h, but its too late.
From that day onwards, I been thinking way to lower my car water temp. Its hot at Malaysia and it doesnt favour my car very much. I enjoy driving at night with my car and the performance is really good at night. At least 10-20% better.

So I been searching here and there and I found this ( I saw this quite sometime but it doesnt changes for a few years) :-
http://www.suzukisport-racing.com/ss_racing/oc.html

It seems that suzukisport plan to come out an oil cooler for HT81S but it somehow put on hold and stop the development process. I really hope they can come out with the kit and I think I will be buying it and install it to my car.
It will good to lower my car engine temp for future racing or street application. Plus I can use lower viscosity oil 30 range instead of 40 without worry of heat.
However, I want to clarify that HT81s setup is not having problem with heat just with my previous bad experience on overheat (entirely my fault), it leave me with a phobia with overheating until now. And I always think that if there's a way to cool down my engine, I will take it and do it. The feeling of stop at the road side is not a good thing to remember. :(

Take my advice, buy a r-vit, informeter or installing an water temp is a good thing for HT81S or HV81S. Trust me, it does save your life and your engine life too.

Comments

  1. water temp increasing due to leak has nothing to do with oil temperature. when you are reading 120deg, the sensor is basically reading vapour and air temperature (since there's no more water left in the system)

    that said, you should get a oil temp sensor. notice if your style of driving pushes the temperature up past 110deg. if so, then you might consider adding a oil cooler. this is especially for those people who go to the tracks often. it might be worth a few more laps each run. you don't need to get a Suzuki Sport Oil Cooler. Oil filter threads are standard sized (each manufacturer has its own size) so you can find one easily. One that fits a Swift Sport or Swift M15A will fit on the Ignis as well.

    also, i would run minimum 40 or even 50 wt oil when you go to the track. even with oil cooler, you want to protect your engine from wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for an oil cooler now. I also have a oil temp sensor but not yet install. The sensor will be on the drain plug. So I wanna change to location at oil filter sandwich plate. Now still looking for the alternative.
    Thanks for the comment bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi bro, have u installed your oil cooler? Any improvement in driving??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder those sell at mudah, the universal kit will work..... I am driving a HT51s 1.3 only but during hot weather i can really feel lack of power from the engine.... so thinking of adding this.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the current cooling system in the engine is adequate if you didn't go for tracking.
    I would recommend you to change to a better oil, fully syn with a bit thinker visco. Maybe 5w-40 but not more than that.
    I had been using 5w-30 fully syn and it serve me well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been using 10w30 Liqui Moly semi syn now.... will try out the 10w40 next oil change.... hope got different....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try a fully syn 30 grade oil instead of going to 40.
    It should make a difference.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment