Fuel price drop for RON97

This is something interesting that I would like to put my 2 cents into. Fuel price in Malaysia are somehow regulated and there are only 2 type of gasoline fuel available widely which is the RON 95 and RON 97 at the pump. Recently the government and petrol pump seller reduce the price of RON97 to RM2.55 a liter. This is a great news and I normally will celebrate by going to have a full tank in my HT81S. Now it is not the case as I seldom drive my HT81S as I have another car for daily commute. Next, this car uses only RON95 fuel so I need to pay RM2.30 for a liter of fuel.
Lets do some math now RON 95 : RM 2.30 and RON 97 : RM 2.55, difference RM 0.25 a liter.
Next, the government claimed that they are paying RM0.13 of fuel subsidy for every liter, great! What if we we eliminate the RON 95 fuel all together and put the RM0.13 subsidy to RON 97. Price of RON 97 will drop to RM 2.42, that is not much difference from RM2.30 we are paying now. The fuel is better, engine less problem, petrol station will not need to store 2 different fuel, better warehousing and this should lead to better environment as higher RON fuel should be better for combustion.
So, will someone just highlight this to the government and review the fuel type available to the public. We were used to having only RON97 many years ago and we shouldn't be going backwards by still using lower RON fuel. If the government interested, they can introduce RON100 fuel so that many modern high compression engine will benefit from this and more newer and advance engine can be imported into the country. Don't worry I won't be asking for subsidy for RON 100 fuel. I will be willing to pay the full retail amount and happy about it.

Comments