Something major are in the works

 
Its been 290k km since 2003 and now it is 2014, I had it planned to do a major servicing of my car when it hit 300k but something happened a month ago that hinder this target. My HT81S experience bad engine overheating before Chinese New Year and since it will take sometime to troubleshoot it, I had retired the car at home and only sent it out to the workshop early this month. The problem I had was the engine coolant will overflow to the expansion tank after engine heat up and it is not the problem of the radiator cap as it is new and I don't suspect it to be a problem with water pump or thermostat as the engine temperature will rise and fall while driving high speed and idling.
Where is my engine ? Apparently I decided to give the engine a proper overhaul and since it is close to 10 years of owning the car (the car was manufactured back in 2003 but I bought it only at 2005) and travel for near 300k km. The engine deserve a proper tender loving care. The engine was drop to the floor together with the gearbox and it is time to see what kind of beating this engine had endure after all these years.

First impression are ot great, the engine was covered with engine oil as the head cover gasket was leaking, next the engine knock sensor had melted, the exhaust manifold oxygen sensor are bad. That is for the engine, the gearbox are slightly better but clutch release bearing are bad which resulted heavy clutch feeling, so a new clutch set are required.


The wiring are out too and while the mechanics are taking the radiator for servicing, something keep ringing in my mind. What to do with the engine ?

Lets talk to the mechanics, the first question that come out of his mouth are "Upsize to 1.8 ?"
Hmmm......that is nice! But.......


Comments

  1. Hi i have the similar symptom as yours. did the mechanic explained what was the cause of it? i am suspecting engine head gasket. anyway drop a M18A in. I just bought one for my iggy. yet to install.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The head gasket seal of my engine are not good as claim by the mechanic as the source of the overheating problem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment