Air Cond Magnetic Clutch Replacement


Recently, my car air conditioner started to behave weirdly. How weird ? Sometimes the air stop to get cold and it doesn't restart until I turn off and on the air-cond knob. However this doesn't happened for a few days and suddenly out of the blue it happened for the entire day. It will start to blow hot air for the entire day.
I went to a trusty air cond servicing centre and I seek their advice. They suspect that the compressor might have gone bad and also the magnetic clutch had lose it performance after so many years. They perform a test on the magnetic clutch and the result show that the clutch is bad. The compressor is ok tho.
I went back another day to replace the magnetic clutch, but with a catch they don't know what the parts number and what the air cond system that is being used in my car. The compressor, dryer and evaporater are from Sanden while the internal blower assembly is from Denso.
Bad news start to come, they can't find a replacement clutch then they find a panasonic clutch assembly for the entire replacement. Once they start change the parts, the parts doesn't fit and they have to modify the clutch anchoring point at the compressor.

Upon completion of this, all seems working well for a day then the same problem surface again. I start to wonder if this clutch is the main problem. I went back to the shop and they start to check again, after 1 hour of checking, they found the culprit the relay for compressor had gone bad and after changing it, so far I had no more problem with the air condition system.
Lesson to be learn from this, check your magnetic clutch and relay too!
What air condition system now in my car ? Denso for cabin, sanden for evaporator and compressor while panasonic for magnetic clutch. What a combo ! :)

Comments