What tire pressure is the right one ?

I had come across this question many times and I always wonder should I follow what written on the guideline by Suzuki or follow the advice of so call tireman advice.

For your information, the recommended tire pressure for Suzuki Swift Sport/Suzuki Ignis Sport HT81S/HV81S will be 230 front and 210 back. 33 psi front and 31 psi back. Should be this number if I not forget. (Drop me a msg is I quote wrongly)

However my trusty tireman recommend to be 28psi back and front as it will be comfortable and more grippy. Anything above 30 will be too stiff and bouncy for the car.

I do agree on this statement as I had experience this setting previously and it does resulted a more comfy ride.

However the question follow on will be :

1. Will it affect the performance of the ride ?

2. Will it affect the safety of the ride ?

3. Will it affect the mileage of the ride ?

Answer that I found out for the question will be :-

Q1 : Yup. It does affect the performance, car tend to slide more when in rain condition, the reasons ?

I had use the 28 psi setting on my way to an local highland resort the other day and it was raining on the way up. I feel the rear of my car slide a bit in tight corners.
(2 person in the car, back seat is empty without any luggage)

From the picture above you can the effect of lower tire pressure on the grip. The left picture shows tire is recommended tire pressure and towards the right picture is lower tire pressure.
You can see clearly the effect on grip and surface contact.

But! I do feel a better grip in dry condition. For your info, I am using the Michelin PP2 185/55/15 size.

Q2 : Basically, this relate to the question above, if the grip is lower at the front it will cause understeer and the grip is lower at back it will cause oversteer. Both is not good for safety.

Q3 : The mileage differences will be around 10-20% less if lower tire pressure is used. Almost the same as the percentage of tire pressure being lower 33 to 28psi (-5psi)

Finally, do we need to use the recommeneded tire pressure by manufacturer?
I do feel yes for everyday commute but if you do have other interest or racing activities, please choose wisely based on your experience and feeling. In the end of the day, it up to your personal reference, there is no right or wrong. You are the one which hold the steering wheel. ITS YOUR CALL!

Cheers..

Comments

  1. for what i knew from my Swift sport's door sticker shown,it should be front 30psi rear 28psi(for 2),while 30psi and 30psi for 4 persons.

    i don't know where you get the reading from.but it was wrong to have 33psi(front) and 31psi(rear) for the car in normal use.

    but i do recommend to have 2 psi addition when travel in long journey.

    actually for front tyre if less then 28psi will be too soft and tend to over steering when in fast steep cornering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the side frame of the driver-side it says to have

    Fore 2 person
    2.3 Bar in front
    2.1 Bar in rear

    4 persons
    2.3 Bar front
    2.3 Bar rear

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment